1973 Mercedes Benz 280SEL 4.5 Projects 2


January 18, 2017

Since picking up the car Sunday afternoon, I have been busy.

As I mentioned in my first post, my first project will be making the engine bay look better and repair any issues I find. Since the nasty looking air cleaner dominated the engine bay, it was removed and placed in my bead blaster. The bracket for the electric fan was the next bead blast victim followed closely by the battery tray. Good news here was that there was lots of dirt but zero rust below the battery tray. During my previous projects I found a guy locally who powder coats very reasonably. The parts were taken then to him this afternoon.

1-18-17-powdercoat-pieces1-17-17-engine-compartment-111-18-17-hood-81-18-17-hood-41-18-17-hood-71-18-17-hood-91-18-17-hood

 

I spent most of the other day using the bead blast machine. As I walked towards the car, I discovered that the hood pad was lying on top of the motor. I pulled off all of the remaining small pieces. Since I want to replace the pad, I knew the next step involved lots of scraping to prepare the hood for glue application.

Knowing that I was about to create a huge mess, most of which would be falling on the motor, I covered the engine bay with plastic bags. Now I was ready to use a plastic scraper to remove the remaining loose material. That was followed by liberal application of 3M adhesive remover and more scraping. I still have more to do but progress has been made.

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s