Body Off Restoration of 1964 Corvette Coupe – Part 18


11/17/12

 

I picked up the hood the day after I got the car home.  It is safely stored in my wife’s bedroom.  She is used to this as the hood from my Camaro lived in the same place for four months as did my son’s trunk lid when we worked on his car.  The rest of the painted parts ended up on top of my dresser.

 

 

 

 

It rained the day after I got the body home and I did not want to back my other car outside so I could lower the chassis so I could work on it.  Since I did not want to waste a day, I decided to polish the paint with Malm’s Ultra Fine Polish.  I have been using this product and their carnauba wax for around 30 years.  Great stuff.  In this case, I did not want to wax it so the paint could cure but I did  want to polish it for two reasons…one to make it shinier and secondly so I could look over the paint job up close.  The good news is that I only found  a couple minor items to talk to my paint man about.  Once I had it all polished, I put the car cover on to protect it.

 

 

 

 

The french locks and the boomerangs arrived Friday. It’s a good thing I have the exhaust off as it would have been very difficult to remove the one engine mount bolt needed to mount the boomerangs.  I wasn’t happy with the wires rubbing against the edge of the boomerang so I slit a piece of hose and tie wrapped it on to insulate the wires.  Now I could proceed with installing the rest of the lower shields and the french locks.

 

 

 

 

During the rebuild of the engine, the builder discovered that the harmonic balancer was damaged.  I bought a new one and painted it today as well.

 

 

 

 

 

11/19/21

 

 

 

My son called me a week ago and mentioned that it would be a good idea to weld a couple O2 sensor bungs into the down pipes so we could read the exhaust for tuning purposes.  I installed the starter and the Z-Bar so that I would have everything in that could be an interference problem with the sensors.  Once I had those items installed, I temporarily installed the downpipes and marked the place for the O2 sensor bungs.  Tomorrow morning, my wife and I are going to grandparent’s day at our grandson’s school.  I am taking the downpipes along and we will weld in the bungs tomorrow afternoon at my son’s house.

 

 

 

 

Next up was removing the defective harmonic balancer and then installing the new one.  I rented a puller/installer tool from Advance Auto and it worked great.  Had to put the chassis on the ground, put the transmission in gear and chock the rear wheels to keep from turning over the motor.  Also got the pulley installed.

Advertisements

2 Comments

  1. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you really know what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my website =). We will have a link trade arrangement among us


Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s