Body Off Restoration of 1964 Corvette Coupe – Part 10


Not much done for a few days.  The wife and I visited Congaree National Park in South Carolina  to do some hiking.  Probably not the smartest move we have made as basically this park is a swamp.  What with the West Nile virus being in the news, we should have probably gone to a different park.  However, plenty of OFF seemed to protect us.  The trees are 130 feet high in this park and are the tallest trees this side of the Rockies.  Very interesting place to visit.

My son bought a house and is moving this weekend.  I have a number of his things here and needed to get my utility trailer form my motor builder where I had left it.  Did that yesterday and used it to haul home a new grill and to haul away the rusted hulk of our old grill.  I will be helping him Thursday afternoon and possibly Friday so probably won’t get much done this week.

And this afternoon, my wife had outpatient surgery.  Had to be there and drive her home.  All went well but we get to do it again next week on her other leg.

 

After putting fertilizer on the lawn, I did have a bit of time this morning to do a few things.  First off, I bead blasted the steering shaft.  Once I had it cleaned up, I coated it with a thin coat of oil to keep it from rusting again.

 

 

 

Next up I installed the fuel overflow hose and nipple.  I did not install the spring at this time as I may have to adjust the length of the hose once the body is installed.

 

 

 

 

 

While I was under the frame at the rear, I loosely attached the muffler hangers.

Now it was time to tackle the interior.  I rested the instrument panel on some wood and began removing all of the wiring and cables.  I also took tons of photos of the wiring in the left dash area.  Once it was removed, I proceeded to remove the rest of the wiring and the fuse block.  There are two screws that mount the fuse box.  One is hidden by the flasher on the upper right corner and the other is hidden by the lowest fuse on the lower left corner.  Before long it was lying on the floor.

 

 

 

 

Next I attacked the rear vent fan located in the left rear corner of the interior.  This fan was only used in 1964-65.  The left vent panels behind the door are functional while those on the right side are fake.  There is a cable that runs from the front dash area back to this fan.  As you pull the cable, it activates the motor to exhaust fresh air through the vent.  There is a duct that connects the fan to the vent and a drain tube to dump any water into the left rear wheelwell.  I have no idea if this fan still works and it looked pretty sad.  My plan is to make sure the motor works and then reburbish the fan and squirrel cage.  There are three screws that attach the fan.  The two forward ones were easy to access but the rearmost one was a challenge.  I had to remove the grommet to the rear wiring harness anyway and was able to get a wrench on the screw through that hole.

 

 

Now it was time to remove the heater, the speaker, the clock, the defroster vent and the radio.  Once the heater was out of the way, Iit was easier to get to the screws that attach the wiper motor.  First I had to remove the clip that holds the wiper arms to the motor.  After removing everything I had some time left to clean up some of the parts.

 

 

 

Here is a pic of everything I removed today!!!  It was a good day and I sure was tired this evening.

 

 

 

 

 

Worked on the instrument panel taking off the switches and the lighter.  I ran into a problem with the ignition switch as I could not pull the cylinder.  I put the ignition in the correct position, inserted the paper clip in the hole but could not get it to release.  I never did feel a spring loaded connection as where I was pushing in was solid.  I wiggled both the switch and the paper clip for a long time.  Even had the wife try to no avail.  Finally I decided to try a different key.  Voila!!  The other key allowed me to put the switvh in theACC position, pushed in the paper clip, twisted it and out it came.

 

 

I used the correct tool to remove the switches but obviously someone did not use it on the windshield wiper switch as there is a gouge in the circular part.   I found a guy in Minnesota who repairs pot metal.  I will be sending the panel to him.

 

 

 

 

Next up I blasted the rear fan parts and the speaker grill and the applied paint.

 

 

Advertisements

2 Comments

  1. Hi there this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or
    if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge
    so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
    Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    • You do not use HTML. You type in your text as you would in Word. There is an “Insert Media” button which lets you post photos. It is very easy to use. I do my wife’s website using Dreamweaver which is considerably more difficult to use.

      http://www.tanglewoodbrushstrokes.com

      Jerry


Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s