Installing a LS1 Motor in my 1977 Camaro-Part 4


Time to put the motor and tranny in the car.  First I padded the entire area around the engine bay to prevent damage to the fenders, firewall, and inner fenders.  I turned the car around so the engine bay was facing the garage door and then picked the motor off the engine stand with the overhead hoist.  My buddy Reese came over to help me position the engine on the motor mounts.

Getting the bolts into the motor mounts turned out to be more of a job than we anticipated.  We finally got the bolt to start on the passenger side, placed a floor jack under the rear of the motor, jostled the motor around and finally the bolt was through the mount.  After much finagling, we finally got the bolt started on the driver’s side but we were having a really difficult time getting it to go through.  My buddy has been having some back problems recently and, by this time, his back was killing him.  He was done for the day.

It was lunch time and I was going to stop to eat lunch.  But, as all of you who have been in these situations know, it is difficult to walk away without it being done.  Dirty Dingo’s motor mount instructions had said to leave the nuts finger tight on their mount so you could move the motor fore and aft.  I decided that this might be one of the problems as there were too many things moving when we tried to line up the motor mount.  I tightened all of the bolts.

Also, one of the last things my buddy had said was the he felt we were moving the end of the rubber where the bolt was to portrude so that the bolt could not line up with the hole.  With that in mind, I got a small pry bar and began prying the rubber with the bolt in it towards the hole.  I immediately made some progress.  By playing with the jack and prying some more, the bolt finally was in!!    To keep the motor from tilting back against the front crossmember, I strapped the front of the motor to the sway bar.  Drank a beer with lunch to celebrate!!!

 

 

A few days later, I borrowed my buddy’s transmission jack and put the transmission in.  This required the normal jostling to get the shaft to seat in the pilot bearing and the rear of the bellhousing.

Once I had the transmission bolted to the bellhousing, I discovered that I needed to move the motor and tranny about an inch to the rear in order to mount the tranny to the rear crossmember.  I loosened the bolts on the motor mounts and pried between the oil pan and the front crossmember.  I eventually got it to within a half inch of where the tranny had been mounted with my small block.

I checked the driveshaft and still had plenty of spline left.  Mounted it and it was done.

Now on to plumbing the engine and hooking up the electrical.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s